ESIL Carers’ Grants
The European Society of International Law offers carers' grants to encourage and facilitate attendance of members with parental or other caring responsibilities at its Annual Conferences and Research Forums. Caring responsibilities include, but is not limited to, childcare (for children up to the age of 16).
DEADLINES for submission of applications:
- 2024 ESIL Research Forum in Nicosia: deadline = 15 February 2024
- 2024 ESIL Annual Conference in Vilnius: deadline = 15 June 2024
Current ESIL members who are chairs or speakers at one of these ESIL events:
- Annual Conference
- Research Forum
- ESIL joint event
- ESIL Interest Group workshops on the occasion of an annual conference. (Note: chairs and speakers at pre-conference Interest Group workshops can receive a travel grant only if they also attend the Annual Conference).
Applicants must be current ESIL members at the time of applying for a grant. New members who submit grant applicants must have joined ESIL for the first time before the deadline for the Call for Papers for the event.
If there are more applications than available grants, the Selection Committee will use a points system based on the following criteria:
- Status on programme (speaker /chair)
- Geographical origin (priority given to scholars based in developing countries. List available here)
- Career stage (priority given to early-career scholars)
- Applicants who do not receive support for caring costs from other sources
- Contribution to ESIL (priority given to applicants who have demonstrated special engagement with ESIL, such as engagement with Interest Groups or past ESIL membership)
- Past awards (priority given to applicants who have not previously been awarded a grant)
Value of Awards
- Submit your application form and a brief cv to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ESIL Carers’ Grant application / your surname before the stated deadline. (See above for deadlines).
- You will be notified of the decision within one month of the deadline.
- You will receive the grant by bank transfer after the event. You need to provide all requested documents (travel documents, complete bank details, and signed reimbursement form) to the ESIL Secretariat, either in person at the event or by post within one month after the event.