Call for Papers – Joint ESIL IG on the EU as a Global Actor/ ILAG Workshop
The City Law School, International Law and Affairs Group (ILAG) and the ESIL Interest Group on the EU as a Global Actor invite submissions of abstracts for a workshop on ‘The European Union’s External Action and International Law: A View From the Outside’. The workshop will take place at the City Law School, City, University of London, on 12 June 2020.
We invite abstracts on the general theme of workshop. Issues may include:
• How is the EU’s external action viewed from the perspective of public international law? What practices in the EU’s external action give rise to particular problems for the EU and its international partners?
• How is the EU viewed from the perspective of other international bodies, such as international organizations and international dispute settlement bodies? What kinds of tensions does this give rise to in EU law and international law?
• Which practices of the EU give rise to particular problems from an international law perspective? Does the EU’s action in the field of trade, sanctions, migration, human rights and so on, invite criticism for failure to observe international law?
• What can other disciplines outside of EU law, such as international law, or critical and non-Western approaches, bring to the study of the EU and its external action?
• What are the views of the EU and its external action from particular geographical regions?