ESIL Travel Grants
The European Society of International Law offers travel grants to encourage and facilitate attendance at its Annual Conferences, Research Fora, and other events. Travel grants are awarded to speakers or chairs at ESIL events. ESIL travel grants are a contribution to the expenses of attending the ESIL event, and can cover the cost of travel (flights, trains, etc.) and/or accommodation.
DEADLINES for submission of applications:
- ESIL Annual Conference, Stockholm: deadline = POSTPONED to 2021
- ESIL Research Forum, Catania: deadline = POSTPONED to 2021
Current ESIL members who are chairs or speakers at one of these ESIL events:
- Annual Conference
- Research Forum
- ESIL joint event
- ESIL Interest Group workshop on the occasion of an Annual Conference. (Note: chairs and speakers at Interest Group workshops can receive a travel grant only if they also attend the Annual Conference).
- ESIL Interest Group workshop on the occasion of a Research Forum. (Note: chairs and speakers at Interest Group workshops can receive a travel grant only if they also attend the Research Forum).
You can only apply for a grant if you are a current ESIL member.
You can only apply for a grant if you are not receiving financial support from your institution or any other organization to attend this event.
You can only receive one travel grant per calendar year.
If there are more applications than available grants, the Selection Committee will use a points system based on the following criteria:
- Status on programme (speaker /chair)
- Geographical origin (priority given to scholars based in emerging/developing countries. List available here)
- Financial circumstances (priority given to applicants who clearly demonstrate the need for financial assistance)
- Career stage (priority given to early-career scholars)
- Gender balance
- Contribution to ESIL (priority given to applicants who have demonstrated special engagement with ESIL)
- Past awards (priority given to applicants who have not previously been awarded a travel grant)
Value of Awards
For ESIL Annual Conference:
- Applicants from Europe (list of countries here): €250
- Applicants from rest of the world: €500
For ESIL Research Forum or ESIL joint event:
- Applicants from Europe (list of countries here): €200
- Applicants from rest of the world: €400
- Submit your application form and a brief cv to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ESIL Travel Grant application / your surname before the stated deadline. (See above for deadlines).
- You will be notified of the decision within one month of the deadline.
- You will receive the grant by bank transfer after the event. You need to provide all requested documents (travel documents, complete bank details, and signed reimbursement form) to the ESIL Secretariat, either in person at the event or by post within one month after the event.