ESIL Travel Grants
The European Society of International Law offers travel grants to encourage and facilitate attendance at its Annual Conferences, Research Fora, and other events. Travel grants are awarded to speakers or chairs at ESIL events. Priority is given to early-career scholars and scholars from emerging/developing countries. ESIL travel grants are a contribution to the expenses of attending the ESIL event, and can cover the cost of travel (flights, trains, etc.) and/or accommodation.
DEADLINES for submission of applications:
- ESIL Annual Conference, Athens: deadline = Wednesday 5 June 2019
Current ESIL members who are chairs or speakers at one of these ESIL events:
- Annual Conference
- Research Forum
- ESIL joint event
- ESIL Interest Group event on the occasion of an Annual Conference. (Note: chairs and speakers at Interest Group events can receive a travel grant only if they also attend the Annual Conference).
You cannot apply for a travel grant if you receive financial support from your institution or any other organization to attend this event.
Applicants must be current ESIL members at the time of applying for a grant.
If there are more applications than available grants, the Selection Committee will use a points system based on the following criteria:
- Status on programme (speaker /chair)
- Geographical origin (priority given to scholars based in emerging/developing countries. List available here)
- Career stage (priority given to early-career scholars)
- Gender balance
- Contribution to ESIL (priority given to applicants who have demonstrated special engagement with ESIL)
- Past awards (priority given to applicants who have not previously been awarded a travel grant
Value of Awards
For ESIL Annual Conference:
- Applicants from Europe (list of countries here): €250
- Applicants from rest of the world: €500
For ESIL Research Forum or ESIL joint event:
- Applicants from Europe (list of countries here): €200
- Applicants from rest of the world: €400
- Submit your application form and a brief cv to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ESIL Travel Grant application / your surname before the stated deadline. (See above for deadlines).
- You will be notified of the decision within one month of the deadline.
- You will receive the grant by bank transfer after the event. You need to provide all requested documents (travel documents, complete bank details, and signed reimbursement form) to the ESIL Secretariat, either in person at the event or by post within one month after the event.