Call for papers – ESIL-Joint Event ‘Socially Responsible Foreign Investment under International Law’
ESIL-Joint Event: Socially Responsible Foreign Investment under International Law Conference
Católica Global School of Law, Lisbon
24-25 October 2019
The purpose of this conference – which aims to attract investment law specialists, but also legal scholars from other fields – will be to enquire about how and to what extent can we speak about ‘Socially Responsible Foreign Investments under International Law’. In this context, the convenors of the conference welcome the submission of papers on this theme, including (but not exclusive of) the following broad topics:
– Business and human rights, including the assessment of the application of human rights in horizontal relations or the protection of consumers’ rights;
– Investment transparency, including the necessary procedural transparency and the adoption of good governance practices, anti-corruption standards;
– Environmental standards, including environmental stewardship, the protection of biodiversity, climate justice, and investor’s ex ante and ex post responsibility;
– Investor-State arbitration and socially responsible investments;
– Universal civil jurisdiction against corporations and the jurisdiction of parent States of transnational corporations;
– Social impact bonds and the promotion of fair trade and sustainable development;
– Compliance, accountability, and enforcement of socially responsible standards, including State and corporate due diligence.
Interested practitioners and scholars (including early career researchers and PhD candidates) are invited to submit an abstract of about 500 words, in English or French, by 15 April 2019 at the latest, at the following address: email@example.com
Submissions should include a curriculum vitae, including email and institutional affiliation, and should indicate current ESIL membership status.